Tips for First Responders on Interacting with an Individual with Autism
PEOPLE ON THE AUTISM SPECTRUM MAY:
- not understand what you say
- appear deaf
- be unable to speak or speak with difficulty
- engage in repetitive behaviors
- act upset for no apparent reason
- appear insensitive to pain
- appear anxious or nervous
- dart away from you unexpectedly
- engage in self-stimulating behaviors (e.g. hand flapping or rocking)
The Autism Society of Central Texas has a training video for first responders. Please click here to view and share.
The Disability Independence Group provides a video for first responders and self advocates on how to use a wallet card to tell an officer you have a disability. Visit the wallet card site here
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to schedule a first responder training.